(The key to flexibility is indecision)

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Crazy little Calf

So, our morning was going very good, no dead calf’s, no mad cows. It was all peachy… Until we went to check the 3 year olds…

Well, dad and I had just kicked a pair out, and I was closing the gate while dad drove around to see if there were anymore calves. So when I finished closing the gate I started to walk over to dad on the quad, he said “There’s a calf sleeping over in the corner but he’s got no mummy”, so I got on the quad and drove around the cows to see if we could spot this mummy cow. We found her, her number was W34… So after we found out who the cow was, we went over to the calf in the far corner of the field (This is the bam tree lot I’m talkin about for all you who know the farm) and tagged it of course. After it was tagged and rubbered, dad left it on the rope for a couple seconds and said to himself “Are you gonna follow us or are you gonna run?”, Well after we let the calf go hr ran of course, but not very far at first, he even charged at dad! He thought he was so tuff… But then dad got on the quad and started it up, the calf freaked out and ran up the hill… The wrong hill… Dad said “Why do they always have to go the wrong way?” I just shrugged. So we took off after this calf, and the calf just kept running, we thought we had stopped him when low and behold, he went through the fence into the field known as “East of the barn”, Dad swore and ripped down the fence line to the gate, I got off the quad and flung it open, I didn’t think Dad would want me back on the quad but he told me to get on anyway. After I got back on the quad, Dad went after that calf sooooo fast! We caught up to the calf and turned him back in the direction of the field he was supposed to be in (Calf bellowing the whole dang time like we was tryin to kill him or somthin!”) , but that didn’t last long, the calf stopped (For some reason) so dad pulled up beside it and tried to grab it’s leg, but he kinda missed and ended up falling over, but also taking the calf down with him, so it worked out… This was a big calf so dada and I had to lift him on the back of the quad, Dad tarp strapped him down, and I held on to one of his front legs, while dad drove back through the gate, into the RIGHT field, and all the way over to his cow… The cow was happy to see her calf, but I think it’s safe to say that Dad and I have traumatised this calf for LIFE!!! Lol :)

 

319760_405796709435367_378757572139281_1761811_1099589030_n

3 comments:

Pamela (a.k.a. The InfoJunkie) said...

Wow! I really should follow you guys with a video camera. :oP

Susan said...

And you must call him Hamburger!

M Johanna M said...

na call him Einstein as an ironic thing :-)